I LOVE authentic Indian recipes, and lucky for me, the family practice resident currently with me for the month, Dr. Payal Shah, was gracious enough to let me in on one of her own family recipes! So, enjoy… I know I will.. Yum!
Recipe: Peas Pulao (Spicy Rice)
1 cup rice (basmati, brown, or mixed rice)
½ cup peas
2 green chili peppers
¼ stick of cinnamon
½ tablespoon cumin powder
¼ tablespoon turmeric
4 Red whole cayenne peppers
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons (MTR) garam masala
1. Put ghee, cloves, red cayenne pepper, and cinnamon in a 2 quart nonstick vessel
2. Once clove pops, add cumin
3. Then add peas, chili (cayenne) pepper, salt, sugar, garam masala (Mix all of it well)
a. Let it cook in the heat for a few minutes (2-3 minutes)
4. Add rice and sauté well
5. Then add water as needed and bring to a boil
6. Simmer and cover with a lid
7. Once rice is cooked, add pieces of butter
8. Add cilantro for decoration
9. Now you are ready to eat. Tastes great with yogurt, Indian mango pickle or just on its own.
To jump start your own wellness or coaching program, visit www.mbswellness.org and contact us!
Jumpstart Your Life Balance or Wellness Program with Dr. Maiysha from Anywhere in the World. Visit www.mbswellness.org or call 404-478-9868 to Get Started Now!